November 17, 2010

Would you like a toddy?

It's definitely cold season here.  Even though I've been a nurse for many years and have a strong immune system, I've realized that adult cooties and first-grade cooties are entirely different.  So all the germs that my daughter brings home gets spread around here, and surprisingly I've been catching colds. Which is so not like me.  

Everyone knows that there are no cures for colds, and as we like to say in the medical community, all we can do for them is "supportive care."  Which brings me to today's post. 



My Grandfather was an old-time Irish country doctor.  When he graduated from medical school in 1931, he basically had whiskey and aspirin to treat his patients.  Sulfa and Penicillin?  Not for awhile.  So, needless to say, the phrase "do you need a toddy?" was uttered quite a bit in our household.  (And yes, I know it's the Proddy whiskey I'm using.... just goes to show how far I've fallen).  

So here is a bit of my Irish, and medical, heritage if you will.  The hot toddy, Grandpa Whalen style. 


Hot Toddy

Combine in a cup or mug:
  • 1 jigger Irish Whiskey
  • 1 jigger fresh lemon juice
  • 1 heaping tablespoon honey
Pour boiling water over ingredients and stir.  Adjust honey and lemon to taste, and float a slice of lemon in there. Drink one and go to bed.  It will knock that cold right out of you. 

Sláinte!



No comments:

Post a Comment