October 7, 2010

fresh fig jam

I get a wonderful box of organic produce each week from Los Poblanos , a local farm that delivers the best locally grown produce, either from their farm or from neighboring farms to the people of Albuquerque.  It's wonderful--a way to eat local and organic, and a way for me to use things I normally wouldn't use.

In this week's box was a pint of figs.  I like figs, fresh from the box but no one else in my family was really eating them up so I thought I would do something different today and decided on a refrigerator jam. The recipes I found were for pounds and pounds of them, so I cut it all down to what I had: a pint of figs.  It weighed a little less than one pound, probably because I had already eaten some.


Fresh Fig Jam

1 pint of figs, stemmed and quartered
1/2 cup sugar
1 TB lemon juice
2 TB Orange Liqueur (I used triple sec)
1 pinch kosher salt

Put all the ingredients in a bowl, stir and let sit for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Put in a nonreactive pot and cook about 25 minutes until the figs are soft.  Adjust the sugar if needed.  Remove from heat and process with an immersion blender (or mash finely by hand) until the skins are finely pureed.

Since it is a small batch, I plan to use is quickly and just put it in a jar in the refrigerator. 

The jam itself is wonderful...bright and deep red, not that brown stuff I was expecting.  Sweet but not overpowering, with the texture of the seeds in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment